Author Topic: Getch's Utilities  (Read 5878 times)

Offline MassGM

• Massachusetts Patriots
  • Legend of the Game
  • Reputation +34/-1
    • View Profile
Re: Getch's Utilities
« Reply #15 on: September 17, 2008, 06:22:57 PM »
Well, I did actually write the playoff odds and ratings part, which is why they're buggy.
Hope you don't mind me asking this here, but...on the Playoff odds calculator, sometimes a second-place team will have a "max number of wins" that surpasses the "min number of wins" of the first-place team, yet the playoff odds of the first-place team will still be 100%. If there are some scenarios in which the second-place team ends up with more wins than the first-place team, wouldn't that cause the second-place team to warrant at least some small percentage chance of winning the division?

I am totally not familiar with the utility, the playoff odds calculator or anything of the like.  Nevertheless, after reading what you wrote, I have to wonder about one thing.  If it's truly playoff odds, and not "odds of winning the division", then what you describe can still happen and be valid.  That is, first place team has clinched a wildcard spot, but not the division.

Offline fhomess

• Texas Banditos
  • All-Star
  • Reputation +4/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 17, 2008, 08:11:56 PM »
Well, I did actually write the playoff odds and ratings part, which is why they're buggy.
Hope you don't mind me asking this here, but...on the Playoff odds calculator, sometimes a second-place team will have a "max number of wins" that surpasses the "min number of wins" of the first-place team, yet the playoff odds of the first-place team will still be 100%. If there are some scenarios in which the second-place team ends up with more wins than the first-place team, wouldn't that cause the second-place team to warrant at least some small percentage chance of winning the division?
I am totally not familiar with the utility, the playoff odds calculator or anything of the like.  Nevertheless, after reading what you wrote, I have to wonder about one thing.  If it's truly playoff odds, and not "odds of winning the division", then what you describe can still happen and be valid.  That is, first place team has clinched a wildcard spot, but not the division.
That's true, but the report has a column for both plus the total chance.

Here's a sample: Test Playoff Odds Report
Feel free to click around on some of the other links to see what the utilities look like (this league is just a test league, so there's some odd things in it, but it'll give you an idea).

Going back to this:
You can have a first place team with a lower MinW than the MaxW for the second place team, and still have that first place team winning 100% of the time if the MinW of the second place team is lower than the MinW of the first place team.  As long as the simulated season in which the first place team saw their MinW also saw the second place team with a lower win total.  The second place team's MaxW may have come in a year when the first place team won more games.  For example, in my sample report linked to above, I simulate out the remainder of 1000 seasons.  The MinW is just the lowest number of wins that team had in any of those 1000 seasons, and doesn't necessarily reflect that the MinW came in the same season as another team's MaxW which is higher.  I hope that's making some sense.

Offline satchel

• Rhode Island Reds
  • Legend of the Game
  • Reputation +9/-2
    • View Profile
    • Jamaica League
« Reply #17 on: September 17, 2008, 10:11:59 PM »
Thanks for the explanation Frank. I was picturing the teams' Min and Max win figures as the end points of overlapping bell curves, with some kind of probability derived from the intersection of those sets.

Offline fhomess

• Texas Banditos
  • All-Star
  • Reputation +4/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 14, 2008, 11:30:59 AM »
With our first sim around the corner, I thought this would be a good time to bump this as I haven't seen any news about it in a while.  I think there's enough of us around here with experience with the utils to help get it set up if you need it, Rob.

Offline Chappy

• Pennsylvania Freedom
  • Administrator
  • Legend of the Game
  • Reputation +59/-3
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 14, 2008, 01:47:36 PM »
Yeah, this is on my to-do list for tomorrow.

:)

Offline Chappy

• Pennsylvania Freedom
  • Administrator
  • Legend of the Game
  • Reputation +59/-3
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 17, 2008, 04:49:21 AM »
Anybody have the zip for the Getch Utilities?

The link at the main boards (http://www.ootpdevelopments.com/board/ootp-9-mods/168065-ootpou-out-park-baseball-9-a.html) isn't working.

Offline satchel

• Rhode Island Reds
  • Legend of the Game
  • Reputation +9/-2
    • View Profile
    • Jamaica League
« Reply #21 on: October 17, 2008, 07:03:16 AM »
I can get it to you tonight Chappy, by 7pm Central.

Offline fhomess

• Texas Banditos
  • All-Star
  • Reputation +4/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 17, 2008, 10:29:21 AM »
Here are links to the relevant files:
OOTPOU9
OOTPOU9 Readme
OOTPOU9 Patch (fhomess)

Offline statfreak

• Ohio Raptors
  • Hall of Famer
  • Reputation +3/-3
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 22, 2008, 09:10:52 AM »
any luck getting the utilities set up?  One of the utilities is an export tracker.  The link on the pastime press page doesn't track OOTP9 exports.

Anywho, I've exported for next sim. 

Offline yuda

• Virginia Grays
  • Administrator
  • Legend of the Game
  • Reputation +28/-10
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 22, 2008, 10:14:54 AM »
One of the utilities is an export tracker.

Score. Cross one thing of the ol' to-do list.

(Chappy, if you decide not to use the utilities, I can update the old one; but no sense doing it if there's something out there, pre-packaged.)

Offline Chappy

• Pennsylvania Freedom
  • Administrator
  • Legend of the Game
  • Reputation +59/-3
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 22, 2008, 10:16:20 AM »
Thanks for the reminder...

I still plan on setting this up.  I think I can get to it tomorrow.

Offline Chappy

• Pennsylvania Freedom
  • Administrator
  • Legend of the Game
  • Reputation +59/-3
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 22, 2008, 10:20:37 AM »
I swear things aren't usually this busy for me, and I feel bad that this hasn't been implemented already.

In addition to the work at the job being increased, I'm now a soccer coach (since September) and with my oldest in Girl Scouts I have less free time when I'm at home.

The good news is the wife is going away this weekend, so I can definitely get it done then if not before.   ;D

Offline Chappy

• Pennsylvania Freedom
  • Administrator
  • Legend of the Game
  • Reputation +59/-3
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 23, 2008, 01:06:54 PM »
Hey guys, just an FYI - I started working on this today.  Read the readme, uploaded the non-game related files, etc before running out of time.  Hopefully I can get it finished right after tomorrow's sim.