Author Topic: Colorado Rams 75th Anniversary Team  (Read 694 times)

Offline Y0DA55

• Colorado Rams
  • Legend of the Game
  • Reputation +12/-0
    • View Profile
Re: Colorado Rams 75th Anniversary Team
« Reply #15 on: August 22, 2018, 09:54:03 AM »
SP3 - Raul Perez
Career w/ Rams: 187-166 (Most Wins in Rams History), 3.89 ERA, 1,872 Ks (4th)
* Bick Horizon Award Winner *
* 1 All-Star Selection *

Might as well continue talking about "current" players. Raul is still in the league at 43 years old, though he hasn't played significant time in 5 years. He pitched more innings and started more games than any other Ram. He has more complete games for the Rams than anyone who didn't start with the inaugural season.

He also was tremendous during our 2065 championship season, going 21-12 with a 3.26 ERA. He went 3-1 in the playoffs that year.

Pretty good for a 3rd round pick!

Offline Y0DA55

• Colorado Rams
  • Legend of the Game
  • Reputation +12/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 27, 2018, 05:43:16 AM »
C - Ron Moore
Career w/ Rams: .256 - 370 HRs (6th) - 1238 RBI (5th)
* 6 All-Star Selections *
* 2 Zachary Mathews Awards *

Summary from the 50 Year Team:
This team has actually had a few pretty good Catchers in its time, but the current catcher can definitely make a case as being the best of the bunch.  Not only does he have the offense, but he can play a little defense too.

I think that if there was one stat that could boil down Moore for you all was his Slugging Percentage.  His .461 SLG ranks 13th all time among catchers.

Unfortunately, Moore is on the wrong side of 30 and while he hasn't slowed down yet, it may be coming soon.  Regardless of that fact, this man has been the rock behind the plate for 8 seasons, and we can only hope for 8 more like the ones he's had.

Now:
I wouldn't have known that he didn't slow down after 2051. He had 3 more 5 WAR seasons after that and just continued to play games. He's all over the Rams leaderboards:
6th in HRs
5th in RBI
Leads in both Hit by Pitches and Ground into Double Plays

He's great in many of the counting categories that would lead you to think he had a good career (which he did). He's Rams Top 10 in: Games, At Bats, Hits, Doubles, K's, Extra base hits, Total Bases, and WAR. Any of us would take a catcher who's career lined up like that.

He never did win the championship, but did hit .311 / 8 / 37 in 8 playoff appearances. AND, he was a pretty good defensive catcher. Solid!

Offline Y0DA55

• Colorado Rams
  • Legend of the Game
  • Reputation +12/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 06, 2018, 12:27:26 PM »
SP4 - Jeffrey Albin
Career w/ Rams: 108-57 - 3.13 ERA (4th) - 1,267 K's
* 2 All-Star Selections *

Albin was a workhorse in his time with the Rams.  He had two 20 win seasons (only Ben Lamela can make that claim) and has the 4th best winning percentage ever as a Ram.

He came around just as we were falling off the pedastal and need to retool and we ended up trading him for Robinson Gonzalez (who is also on this 50-year team).  Unfortunately for New Jersey, he had a history of injuries for them and never quite dominated like he did with the Rams.

However, he was definitely the 3rd best pitcher this team had ever seen.

Now:
Well, now he's the 4th best pitcher the team has seen. I'm still bummed I gave him up midway through his career.

SP5 - Chip Herold
Career w/ Rams: 162-133 - 3.72 ERA - 1,940 K's - 1.21 WHiP - (2nd, 8th, -, 3rd, and - respectively)
* 1 All-Star Selection *

Herold is the 2nd winningest pitcher in Rams history, but also the 5th losingest pitcher.  That's kind of his story.  He was a good pitcher that pitched the majority of his career on a really good team.  I believe he was my number 1 starter for many of those years, but I don't really think I ever thought of him as an ace like I did with Lamela, Albin, or McCullough.  He makes this team purely through being able to grit out the many years of above average service to this team... and because we really haven't had a ton of really top quality pitching.

Now:
Well, 3 people passed him on the losing side. That's what having a crappy team will do for you. He had 12 straight years of 10 wins or more.

Offline Y0DA55

• Colorado Rams
  • Legend of the Game
  • Reputation +12/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 25, 2018, 08:04:31 AM »
MR4 - Arthur Crawford
Career w/ Rams: 48-62 - 57 Saves - 3.43 ERA - 977 Games (6th) - 203 Holds (1st)
* 1 All-Star Selection *

Crawford was never the final stopper for the Rams as he spent most of his career behind Francisco Rangel, but he was always around and always very good. He had the consistency to amass 977 games for the Rams, which ranks him 5th on the team and leads the team in holds.

MR5 - Jaime Soto
Career w/ Rams: 24-33 - 171 Saves (7th) - 3.31 ERA
* 1 All-Star Selection *

This may be a bit premature, as when I compiled this list it seemed as though Soto, as young as he was, would continue to be good. But he has since lost his closer job, so in 25 years, who knows if he'll still be here. Since he's joined the team at age 26, he's been the closer for the (very bad) Rams. The team has never won more than 65 games when Soto was on the roster, but he has accumulated 171 saves in that time. I guess the team just likes to play close games.

Offline Y0DA55

• Colorado Rams
  • Legend of the Game
  • Reputation +12/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 02, 2018, 09:23:16 AM »
RF - Larry Pearson
Career w/ Rams: .328 - 310 HRs - 1,080 RBI - 1,956 Hits
* 1 Tyson Bacon Award *
* 1 Bick Horizon Award
* 7 All-Star Selections *
* 3 Zachary Matthews Awards *

One of the best players added to this team in the past 25 years, Larry helped lead the team to their 2065 Championship.

Let me just leave this here. These are his statistical standings on the Rams, all time:

1st in Batting Average
2nd in Slugging Percentage
4th in OPS
8/9/10 in Hits/RBI/Runs

He's also 5th overall on the team in career WAR.

Larry was eventually traded in a package to Utah for their entire draft at the time. We're still waiting to see what became of those picks. As of this moment, none of those picks have really amounted to much except to add some depth to the farm system.

One interesting tidbit that I found was his 2065 season, the season the Rams won the Championship...
Just to simplify things, his WAR that season was 5.1.  No slouch, but he had a 7.3 WAR the season before, a 9.5 WAR the season after. However, he hit .450 in the playoffs in 2065. No one could get him out. Probably a big reason we ended up winning.

He actually played more games in LF, but I had to put him in the place where he played about a third of his games as no one was moving Couch off of Left Field.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2018, 09:26:39 AM by Y0DA55 »

Offline Y0DA55

• Colorado Rams
  • Legend of the Game
  • Reputation +12/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 03, 2018, 09:17:25 AM »
SS - Joseph Gardiner
Career w/ Rams: .282 - 136 HRs - 729 RBI
* 3 All-Star Selections *

Summary from the 25 Year Team:
The 9th pick overall in the 2006 draft, Gardiner started for 10 years as a Ram.  4 as a second basemen and then moved over to short in order to strengthen the team.  Gardiner was a triples MACHINE.  He led the league thrice as a Ram (and one more time for good measure) and finished his career 5th on the all-time list.  Gardiner was also a beast in the post-season hitting .304 with 12 HRs and 58 RBIs in 117 games.

A lot like Joshua Rivers in the fact that they don't really have a position, and mostly play "middle infield" for the Rams.

One thing that I neglected to mention in the 25 year report was not only was he a triples machine (4th all time on the Rams), he also hit a lot of doubles.  He has 3 of the top 10 2B's years and ranks 2nd on the team with 434 doubles.

CF - Oscar Oakley
Career w/ Rams: .253 -360 HRs - 1,139 RBI
* 2 All-Star Selections *
* Bick Horizon Award (Rookie of the Year) *
* 2 Matthews Awards *

Summary from the 25 Year Team:
As he is in consideration for Hall of Fame voting, I should probably throw old Oscar out here now.  Oakley won the Robinson Award in 2006 and won two Mays Awards in his 16 years as a Ram.  Oakley was the #2 overall pick by New York in 2003, but was traded for Hall of Famer Anthony Beckford.  Oakley has played more games and has had more at bats than any other Ram in history.  He was really hit or miss in the post-season, but stepped it up BIG when the Rams needed him most with 16 RBIs with the 2016 Championship team.

Old Oscar never did get elected to the Hall of Fame.  He was a good one.  Oakley was just a solid player.  He was good for about 20 homeruns, 80 RBI, 50 SB, and close to 100 runs every year.  He wasn't that big of an on base guy though with a fairly low average and OBP throughout his career.

But, with that said, he's all over our all-time leaderboards (and has been to bat more times than any other Ram):

Games: 2413 (2nd)
At Bats: 8904 (1st)
Runs: 1460 (3rd)
Hits: 2253 (4th)
Total Bases: 3916 (4th)
Singles: 1397 (3rd)
Doubles: 409 (3rd)
Triples: 87 (2nd)
Homeruns: 360 (4th)
RBI: 1139 (5th)
SB: 815 (1st)
Walks: 915 (3rd)
HBP: 77 (3rd)
K's: 1812 (2nd)

With being so high on the leaderboards, I had to think real hard as to where to put him, and I came away with putting him in CF (he played all three outfield positions).  But don't think that it was easy for someone to crack this outfield!

Now:
Much of what I said for both of these two remains true. They remain all over the Rams team leaderboard. Both of them are very old school guys who predate my taking over the Rams. I'm glad that I was able to inherit such great players.

Offline Y0DA55

• Colorado Rams
  • Legend of the Game
  • Reputation +12/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 04, 2018, 09:25:47 AM »
C - Bobby "Little Rock" Kelly
Career w/ Rams: .264/.362/.393 - 1563 Hits - 160 HRs - 708 RBI
* 1 Matthews Award *

When I first drafted Kelly with the sixth pick in 2026, I thought he'd be amazing.  He was good, but those lofty expectations always left me feeling like he didn't live up to his potential.  Maybe I didn't give him enough credit... I mean, check out where he lands on our leaderboards:

OBP - .362 (8th)
Games - 1795 (7th) and he was a CATCHER!
At Bats - 5911 (6th)
Runs - 870 (8th)
Hits - 1563 (7th)
Walks - 886 (5th)

You know... after looking at the two (Ron Moore being the other one), I've got to give the edge to Kelly at the moment.  He had a higher peak and was just a good player to have playing.  He had an above average OPS+ in 8 of his seasons and wasn't really a bad player at all in any of his first 12 seasons.  What more can you ask for?

Now:
It was very tight between him and Ron Moore for the starting spot, but I had to give the edge to Moore as he was just the better player.

1B - Evan Dixon
Career w/ Rams: .291/.371/.521 - 279 HR - 968 RBI
* 1 Tyson Bacon Award *
* 4 All-Star Selections *
* 1 Bick Horizon Award *

The mysterious guy who almost took Rehm's spot on the starting lineup?  Evan Dixon.

Dixon has been awesome as of late.  Last year was a year for the ages (.374/.454/.664, 37 HRs, and 132 RBI).  Unfortunately, Dixon got hurt earlier this season and hasn't quite been the same since.  I'm hoping he can bounce back next year.  It's because of this injury and the unknown of whether or not he will continue to be amazing that puts him on the bench at the moment.  He's only halfway through his career, hopefully.

He owns the two highest batting averages in a season by any Ram, 2 of the 3 best OBP seasons, 3 of the top 10 SLG seasons (all three of those stats he's tops Career wise with the Rams), he's just now 10th on the All-Time HR list of the team, and aside from Dale Couch, no one has driven in more RBI in a season than Dixon.

When all is said and done, he could be one of the greats.

Now:
Yeah, about that injury. His stats never did fully recover from it. He went from potentially being one of the all-time greats to a bit better than average first baseman. He had a shot to surpass Rehm, but the back end of his career just wasn't going to do it.

He still is all over our single season leaderboards, but his counting stats just don't add up on the career side.

Interestingly, he was the only player in Rams history that recorded a 10+ WAR in a season (as far as I know).

Offline Y0DA55

• Colorado Rams
  • Legend of the Game
  • Reputation +12/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 04, 2018, 10:05:27 AM »
OF - Robinson Gonzalez
Career w/ Rams: .259/.336/.484 - 374 HRs - 1081 RBI

Traded from New Jersey in what seems like a pretty good trade for us both (they received Herc Columbie, Jeffrey Albin, and Arturo Castro, Gonzalez was a beast in the middle of the order for us.  He was good for 30+ HRs for 8 years, 3 times going over 40 (twice leading the league).  He's still kicking around on our team, but mostly in a bench role.  Very solid player, but it's very hard to crack our starting outfield on this 50 year team.

Now:
Gonzalez was probably the last one out of our starting squad. For Pete's sake, he's 6 all-time on the Rams in WAR. He's top 10 in HR (4th), Slugging (9th), OPS (9th), Games (8th), At Bats (10th), Runs (8th), RBI (8th), and Intentional Walks (2nd). Particularly in games played, if you are able to crack that top 10, you did something right. Gonzo did a LOT right with the Rams.

Offline Y0DA55

• Colorado Rams
  • Legend of the Game
  • Reputation +12/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 04, 2018, 10:05:48 AM »
IF - Joshua Rivers
Career w/ Rams: .292/.376/.388 - 47 HRs - 544 RBI - 1,729 Hits
* 1 All-Star Selection *

The beauty of Joshua Rivers is his ability to get on base.  4 times he has been top 10 in games started, At bats, runs, and Stolen Bases.  He's only 31, so he's still got some playing to do and still has to play more to get onto some of the all-time leaderboards of the team, but he's on his way.

He currently owns the 10th best batting average and the 5th best on base percentage.  His 93 walks last year was tied for the most of any Ram ever.  He's been great and, even now, takes the crown as the best second baseman to play for this team.

Now:
Time passes for everyone, including me as the owner of the team. In the middle of his career, the Rams were at the end of a high period, and it was best for the team if they were able to get a package of players for him, so he was shipped to Idaho and later to Illinois to finish his career (and he kept on chugging for quite a while after our trade). Even though he still is 10th all time on the Rams in Hits and holds the 3rd highest OBP, I think I'd rather have Magpie's Rams career than Rivers. What a wonderful player to have on my team.

Funny thing about the guys who I got back in the deal with Idaho (who went on to win the Championship the year of the in-season deal)...

One was Brian McGee who played a lot of games for us, but ultimately was just someone taking up space.

In the following draft, we picked up Magpie Foster with our own pick in the first round, but in that Idaho trade, we also got their draft pick (the last of the first round) who turned out to be...

Offline Y0DA55

• Colorado Rams
  • Legend of the Game
  • Reputation +12/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 08, 2018, 07:12:40 AM »
OF - Richard Samuels
Career w/ Rams: .251/.354/.461 - 253 HRs - 844 RBI

So thank you Idaho for that draft pick. Samuels shows up twice in a big way on our team leaderboards. He's third all-time on the team in walks and he has the 7th highest WAR for any Rams batter.

Samuels went through a whole "rebuilding-contending-rebuilding" cycle with the Rams. In '65 when we won the championship, he went .339/.461/.500 throughout the playoffs. Richard is a great addition to the 75 year team.

Offline Y0DA55

• Colorado Rams
  • Legend of the Game
  • Reputation +12/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 08, 2018, 07:32:32 AM »
OF - Gustavo Vizcaino
Career w/ Rams: .270/.360/.496 - 334 HRs - 1201 RBI

So lets run through where he ranks all time with the Rams, shall we?

OBP: 9th (.360)
SLG: 6th (.496)
OPS: 5th (.856)
Games: 5th (2,044)
At Bats: 5th (6,840)
Runs: 5th (1,127)
Hits: 5th (1,847)
Total Bases: 5th (3,392)
Singles: 10th (1,037)
Doubles: 4th (409)
Triples: 7th (67)
HRs: 6th (334)
RBI: 4th (1,201)
Walks: 2nd (925)
HBP: 1st (80)

He was just a monster and it's kind of fun to track his career and how the Rams did at that time.  He came in and didn't play too well, and the team continued to stink.  His first big year in 2027 (.268/26/88), and the team won 93 games.  The team kept winning, and he kept hitting homeruns (just once under 20) for the next 8 years.  When he finally started to wear down and he hit only 10 homeruns in 2036, the team won 74 games (after winning 105 the year before).  Though he hit 24 the next year, the team never recovered.

Gustavo was a cornerstone on this team for a solid 10 year stretch and is a shoo in for this 50-year team.

Now:
Vizcaino was a monster for those '27-'37 Rams teams. He's still all over the Rams leaderboards, and when compiling this list, I was surprised by how long ago he was on our team. In my mind, he was a much more recent player. He's probably the first person off the bench for this team.

Apologies to Eric Cline and Jing-bo Kan, who in my mind were the last two hitters off my squad.