Author Topic: Colorado Rams 75th Anniversary Team  (Read 691 times)

Offline Y0DA55

• Colorado Rams
  • Legend of the Game
  • Reputation +12/-0
    • View Profile
Colorado Rams 75th Anniversary Team
« on: July 09, 2018, 09:18:22 AM »
25 Players for 75 Years

The Rams have celebrated 75 years in the NPBL.  So now it's time to declare the 75th Anniversary Team.  All of these players on this team have made a significant impact on the history of the Colorado Rams.

To see the 25th Anniversary team, click here.
To see the 50th Anniversary team, click here.

The Colorado Rams 75th Anniversary Team
25 Players for 75 Years

C - Ron Moore - bio
1B - Hal "Golden" Rehm - bio
2B - Magpie Foster - bio
3B - Tyson Bacon - bio
SS - Joseph Gardiner - bio
LF - Dale Couch - bio
CF - "Atomic" Oscar Oakley - bio
RF - Larry Pearson - bio

Bench
C - Bobby "Little Rock" Kelly - bio
1B - Evan Dixon - bio
IF - Joshua Rivers - bio
OF - Robinson Gonzalez - bio
OF - Richard Samuels - bio
OF - Gustavo Vizcaino - bio

Pitching
SP1 - Ben Lamela - bio
SP2 - Clarence McNatt - bio
SP3 - Raul Perez - bio
SP4 - Jeffrey Albin - bio
SP5 - Chip Herold - bio

MR1 - Francisco Rangel - bio
MR2 - John Montana - bio
MR3 - Rafael Souza - bio
MR4 - Arthur Crawford - bio
MR5 - Jaime Soto - bio

CL - Alan Jacobs - bio
« Last Edit: October 08, 2018, 07:34:15 AM by Y0DA55 »

Offline Y0DA55

• Colorado Rams
  • Legend of the Game
  • Reputation +12/-0
    • View Profile
Re: Colorado Rams 75th Anniversary Team
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2018, 12:36:29 PM »
No surprises here. Let's start with the unquestioned star of our team (and league?)...

3B - Tyson Bacon
Career w/ Rams: .327 - 392 HRs - 1,357 RBI - 2,825 Hits
** Hall of Famer **
*4 Tyson Bacon Awards*
* 13 All-Star Selections *
*6 Zachary Matthews Awards*

Summary from the 25 Year Team:
4 Ruth Awards, 6 Mays Awards, you don't get much better than this guy.  Far and away the best player to ever don a Colorado Rams uniform.  Longest tenured starting position player in Colorado history (16 seasons at 3B).  He even retired as a Ram, the way it should be.

Let me just run through some of the numbers he's accumulated and how that stacks up to everyone who has played in the NPBL. There was a reason why the MVP Award was named after him (he won 4 of them).

12,094 At Bats (3rd All Time)
.319 (T-18th All Time)/.380/.497
3,858 Hits (3rd All Time)
510 HRs (16th All Time)
1772 RBI (8th All Time)
2,053 Runs (3rd All Time)
940 SBs (7th All Time)

Tim just ranked him as the 2nd best 3rd baseman ever.

So much love for this guy. I kind of wish that Statslab brought over more of the stats accurately, as it downplays both the MVPs he won and says that he played for CA (when looking through individual stats... it can only say one team, and he started his career with California).

One stat that I love that I just found out about is his Power-Speed #. For those who don't know this (I didn't), the formula is (2*HR*SB)/(HR+SB).  Bacon's Power-Speed # is 661.2.  The 2nd place person is over 100 points below that. To put it in perspective against real MLB players, Barry Bonds leads the category with 613.9.

Offline MassGM

• Massachusetts Patriots
  • Legend of the Game
  • Reputation +34/-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2018, 12:38:19 PM »
I'll be interested to see how this compares to the 75 for 75 rankings.  My only caveat when I made all-franchise teams was that the player had to have played 3 seasons for the franchise.  If a player satisfied that requirement, all of his career accomplishments "counted".  That's a little different than what you are doing here - which is considering the contribution while wearing a Ram uniform.

Offline Y0DA55

• Colorado Rams
  • Legend of the Game
  • Reputation +12/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2018, 12:46:39 PM »
I'll be interested to see how this compares to the 75 for 75 rankings.  My only caveat when I made all-franchise teams was that the player had to have played 3 seasons for the franchise.  If a player satisfied that requirement, all of his career accomplishments "counted".  That's a little different than what you are doing here - which is considering the contribution while wearing a Ram uniform.

I think it will line up similarly. There isn't a LOT of movement in the NPBL (and really, the Rams), but some players definitely weren't considered because they didn't put in their time on our team. And I bet that we might value some players more than others.

For example, Dinis Camanho for example wasn't even considered for the team. I don't think he'd make our team anyway (on either of our lists), but he might have made your list.

Offline MassGM

• Massachusetts Patriots
  • Legend of the Game
  • Reputation +34/-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2018, 11:18:58 AM »

I think it will line up similarly. There isn't a LOT of movement in the NPBL (and really, the Rams), but some players definitely weren't considered because they didn't put in their time on our team. And I bet that we might value some players more than others.

For example, Dinis Camanho for example wasn't even considered for the team. I don't think he'd make our team anyway (on either of our lists), but he might have made your list.

Dinis Camanho ended up ranked 120th for relievers.  So he didn't make my list.

Offline Y0DA55

• Colorado Rams
  • Legend of the Game
  • Reputation +12/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2018, 10:10:09 AM »
SP1 - Ben Lamela
Career w/ Rams: 161-71 - 2.04 ERA - 3 SVs - 1,843 Ks
** Hall of Famer **
* 2 1/2 James Yim Awards w/ Rams *
* 6 All-Star Selections w/ Rams *

This guy was in my bullpen when I took over this team and he turned into the best pitcher that the Colorado Rams ever had (and this includes a guy who made it into the Hall of Fame).  Ben will end up in the Hall, first ballot, as he was not only one of the best Rams in history, he was one of the best pitchers in history.  He's got 2 Johnson Awards in years in the Rams and was the Playoff MVP in the year the Rams won their only championship.

Summary from the 50 Year Team:
After we traded him, he went on to win just a few more games and win 2 more Pitcher of the Year Awards.  He really was the first one on this team that seemed like "my" guy as I decided to move him from the bullpen to the starting rotation.  He DID end up making it into the Hall of Fame, as he should have.  I WISH I could have a guy like him again.  No one has really come close since he left.

There have only been 2 guys with more wins on the Rams than Lamela.  I guess that doesn't say much about the quality of pitching we've had over the years. He still has the most WAR, though I wonder if Statslab calculates it wrong, because our 2nd place guy shouldn't have  nearly as much WAR as his numbers indicate. He is 82 games over .500 with the Rams, which probably goes to show you how good he was. The next best in that category is 30 games behind. He also still has the highest K/BB ratio of any Rams pitcher.  For is career, he has the 20th lowest ERA ever.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2018, 11:45:31 AM by Y0DA55 »

Offline yuda

• Virginia Grays
  • Administrator
  • Legend of the Game
  • Reputation +28/-10
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2018, 10:22:11 AM »
He still has the most WAR, though I wonder if Statslab calculates it wrong, because our 2nd place guy shouldn't have  nearly as much WAR as his numbers indicate.

OOTP calculates WAR for pitchers based solely on innigns pitched, strikeouts, walks, and home runs allowed (I guess the formula might use FIP, but kind of six of one/half dozen of the other). I would prefer the BB-ref formula, which is based on runs allowed (instead of FIP).

Offline Y0DA55

• Colorado Rams
  • Legend of the Game
  • Reputation +12/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2018, 11:15:01 AM »
He still has the most WAR, though I wonder if Statslab calculates it wrong, because our 2nd place guy shouldn't have  nearly as much WAR as his numbers indicate.

OOTP calculates WAR for pitchers based solely on innigns pitched, strikeouts, walks, and home runs allowed (I guess the formula might use FIP, but kind of six of one/half dozen of the other). I would prefer the BB-ref formula, which is based on runs allowed (instead of FIP).

I'm specifically talking about Paul Wendler. Ignoring the fact that he wasn't on my team for the time that Statslab has him as being on my team, I don't understand how he could accululate that much WAR. His 2005 season he went 13-12, with a 3.61 ERA (a little better than average) with 218 K's. I don't know how THAT season gets him 10.3 WAR.

Offline yuda

• Virginia Grays
  • Administrator
  • Legend of the Game
  • Reputation +28/-10
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2018, 12:42:49 PM »
It's because Statslab thinks he didn't surrender any home runs from 2002 through 2009 (a stretch of 1,551.7 innings). I'm guessing OOTP didn't track home runs allowed by pitchers in that era? I'd never actually noticed this before, but it would go a long way toward explaining the problems with historical WAR.

I may look into what it takes to compute bb-ref style WAR from runs allowed and innings.

Offline Y0DA55

• Colorado Rams
  • Legend of the Game
  • Reputation +12/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2018, 12:10:09 PM »
CL - Alan Jacobs
Career w/ Rams: 61-54 - 3.08 ERA - 284 Saves - 894 Games Pitched - 2nd Most Saves, 2nd Lowest ERA, and 8th Most Games Pitched in Rams History
* 3 All-Star Selections *

Now we finally get to the best relief pitcher in Rams history.  6 straight years of 30 or more saves, with 3 of those years not having over a 2.17 ERA.  Certainly, there were better relievers throughout the NPBL, but as previously stated, we haven't exactly won the pitching lottery here.

He once led the league in saves and was a very big part of our team for a solid 11 years.  Great pitcher and the closer for this 50-year team.

Looking back over the last 25 years, I've found that I really haven't had a whole lot of great relief pitchers. Serviceable ones, yes. But no truly great pitchers. It's been the bane of my existence as a team manager. I've never been able to develop pitching. Jacobs was one that GOT developed. He developed enough to retain his spot as closer on this team.

Offline Y0DA55

• Colorado Rams
  • Legend of the Game
  • Reputation +12/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2018, 10:01:19 AM »
I have to start grouping these or I will never finish given my life outside the game.

MR1 - Francisco Rangel
Career w/ Rams: 78-86 - 3.58 ERA - 318 Saves (Most by a Ram) - 1,029 Ks - 1194 Games (2nd most by a Ram Pitcher)
* 6 All-Star Selections *

He's still relatively young (at the time of this writing, he's only 31), but what he's done so far in his career puts in in the discussion as one of the best relievers in this team's history.  He's tied with McKinley with the 2nd most saves in one season and is slowly creeping up the all-time saves chart for the team (currently 6th (as of this writing)).

Rangel has just been a great person to have in the bullpen, and this season is having one of hist best statistical seasons yet.

Now: Since the last 25-year team, Rangel has made 3 more All-Star teams and become the Rams All-Time Saves leader. I don't know that he was quite as good as Jacobs, but maybe my tastes will change by the 100-year team.

MR2 - John Montana
Career w/ Rams: 86-66 - 3.41 ERA - 1206 Games - 258 Saves - Most Games pitched by any Rams pitcher - 4th most Saves
* 2 All-Star Selections *

Montana came over from the Jacks when he was 22 where we traded one of our better relievers for a guy who was very young.  We were building for the future as we were coming off a 61 win season.  Montana stayed in our bullpen for the next 19 years.  He held a variety of spots and spent 6 years as the go-to closer of the team (top 10 in saves in each of those years).

As it's hard to really rank my relievers, these guys are in no particular order, but they are all important.  Montana's consistency more than anything gets him a spot on this team.

Now: Not much else to add. Still one of my top relievers ever.

MR3 - Rafael Souza
Career w/ Rams: 139-89 - 3.19 ERA - 81 SVs - 1,849 Ks
* 2 All-Star Selections *

I cheated a bit on Souza.  He has enough starts to be considered a starter, but he has almost 3 times the number of appearances as starts, although he did start 258 games for us.  He had as many as 16 wins in a season as well as a high of 40 saves in a season.  He could do it all and did so for 20 years.  He was one of the last remaining players to be drafted in the original NPBL draft and stay with his team for their entire career.

I've got a big soft spot for Souza.  Interestingly, he's got the 2nd lowest WHiP in Rams history, the 6th most wins, and the 8th best Winning Percentage.

Now: That soft spot hasn't gone away.

Offline Y0DA55

• Colorado Rams
  • Legend of the Game
  • Reputation +12/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2018, 06:21:03 AM »
LF - Dale Couch
Career w/ Rams: .295/.364/.577 - 2540 Hits - 681 HRs - 1765 RBI - Most HR's and RBI's in Rams History
** Hall of Famer **
* 3 Time Bacon Award Winner *
* 10 All-Star Selections *

If Tyson Bacon was the face of the Rams for the first 25 years, then Dale Couch is the face for the next 25 years.  Not only are his 681 HRs more than any other Ram who has ever played, it's more than any other player ever in the NPBL, period.  The amazing Walt Geldorf has a shot to pass him, but he's got quite a ways to go yet.  Couch is also one of only 6 players who has scored 150 runs in a season - he scored 150 and 148 during two of the years he hit over 60 homeruns (he did so three times).  He also has 4 of the top 10 Slugging seasons of all time.  He also holds the record for most RBI's in a season with 165 during his ridiculous 2033 season (.345/.413/.693, 63 HRs, 165 RBI, 148 Runs, 30 SBs, and 218 Hits).

Couch was a masher, and as much as I was grateful for Bacon and Lamela, I'm very grateful that this 2nd round pick became the beast that he was.

Now: At the time of this writing, Couch is 3rd all-time in Homeruns. He was passed by the much better players Walt Geldoff and Mark Sims. Couch also remains in the top 10 in RBI, top 3 in SLG, top 12 in OPS, and top 10 in Intentional Walks.

Offline Y0DA55

• Colorado Rams
  • Legend of the Game
  • Reputation +12/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2018, 07:31:16 AM »
SP2 - Clarence McNatt
Career w/ Rams: 126-62 - 2.38 ERA - 0 SVs - 1,370 Ks
** HALL OF FAME **
* 4 All-Star Selections *

McNatt was the man.  After coming over in a trade in 2010, not once in the years that followed did he fall below 13 wins (and that includes the year he was traded to us).  Deservedly, he is already in the Hall of Fame.  I wonder what his overall numbers would have been like had he been on a better Florida team in his early years.  He may have approached 250 wins.

McNatt falls victim to the transition from 6.5 to 2011 version of OOTP.  His Catobase card (linked above) shows he truly was with us for a long time, where his card now has him with Florida for a much longer time, so our leaderboards are somewhat messed up.

But I can tell you that his 2.38 ERA would still be second in team history (and he STILL owns at least 2 (if not 4) of the top 10 ERA seasons on the team), his .670 Winning Percentage would place him 4th, his 1,370 K's would place him 8th, and his career WHiP would STILL be second to only the great Ben Lamela.

Unfortunately, the quality of Rams pitching SEVERELY drops off after Lamela and McNatt (luckily they pitched at the same time and won us a title!).

Now:
It's hard for me to really see McNatt's place among Rams pitchers because I'm lazy all of his stats are in Catobase. There really hasn't been anyone who has come along that could topple his place in Rams history. But, I'm not sure that we've had as pitcher friendly a time in the NPBL as the time when McNatt was pitching. Though, we seem to be going through a very low scoring era currently.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2018, 07:34:04 AM by Y0DA55 »

Offline Y0DA55

• Colorado Rams
  • Legend of the Game
  • Reputation +12/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 15, 2018, 07:54:34 AM »
1B - Hal "Golden" Rehm
Career w/ Rams: .250 - 392 HRs (Tied for 2nd in Rams History) - 1341 RBI
** HALL OF FAME **
* 1 Time Bacon Award Winner *
* 5 All-Star Selections *

The Golden One played in the shadow of Tyson Bacon for most of his career, but finally broke out in 2015 when he won the Ruth Award.  Was the main man at first base for 15 years, definitely living up to the hype of being a #1 overall draft pick.

He's a Hall of Famer and was an excellent player for us.  Though, I was torn between him and one other guy for the starter position.  But the length of his career and how good he was throughout put Rehm over the top.

He's way up there on all of our leaderboards, but unfortunately, our leaderboards count his first season with Lousiana as a season with us, so his numbers are a bit off.

Now:
I'd be hard pressed to put anyone else in this slot for the Rams. Hal is all over our leaderboards.  Fun fact, he's tied for 2nd in team homeruns, but he's still 3rd (or 4th) in Stolen Bases... as a first baseman.

Offline Y0DA55

• Colorado Rams
  • Legend of the Game
  • Reputation +12/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 21, 2018, 01:42:35 PM »
2B - Magpie Foster
Career w/ Rams: .290 - 2910 Hits (leads team) - 331 HRs - 1372 RBI (3rd)
* 1 Time Bacon Award Winner *
* 8 All-Star Selections *

I think it's interesting that of all the history this team has accumulated, Magpie Foster has been one of the best ever for this club and was a big part in our 2065 Championship.  He's currently still hanging on with the Rams, but he's definitely near the end of the line. I think I'll just jot down some of his accomplishments:

He has more At Bats than any Ram, ever. Also, only 25 men have made it to the plate more often than Magpie in NPBL history.
2910 Hits (Leads team) - He probably won't make it to 3,000
596 Doubles (leads team and is 17th all-time in the NPBL)
91 3B (2nd)
331 HR (9th)
1372 RBI (3rd)
1018 EBH (2nd) (22 All-Time)
4681 TB (2nd)
71.7 WAR (3rd)

Magpie is one of my favorite "recent" players. Drafted 7th in the 2055 Draft, only Lewis Payne (drafted 15th) had more WAR. I bet he hangs it up in the current offseason that we are in. I can't imagine wanting to continue to play for the putrid Rams team we have right now.