Author Topic: Dinis Camanho hangs 'em up  (Read 59 times)

Offline yuda

• Virginia Grays
  • Administrator
  • Legend of the Game
  • Reputation +28/-10
    • View Profile
Dinis Camanho hangs 'em up
« on: May 20, 2018, 06:46:13 PM »
Longtime Grays relief pitcher Dinis Camanho has retired at the age of 45 years old.

I traded for Camanho way back in 2056, seeing in him an extreme groundball pitcher with two very good pitches and one terrible one. I'd hoped that with a good infield defense behind him, he could make his way as a starter.

He never quite worked out as a starter, but he was a stalwart in our bullpen for many years. He made two all-star teams (1964 and 1965) and finished second in the Ramos voting in '65 with his 28 saves and 1.05 ERA. (Raul Reyna won it that year, with a similar ERA but 84 innings pitched to Camanho's 68.)

I gave up two picks for Camanho, and they turned into Andre Beauregard and Rafael Trevino. Beauregard was almost certainly the most valuable player of the three of them (Trevino only got a couple cups of coffee), but I think it's pretty cool that Camanho outlasted both of the guys picked with the picks from that trade - they both retired back in '72.

Offline Y0DA55

• Colorado Rams
  • Legend of the Game
  • Reputation +11/-0
    • View Profile
Re: Dinis Camanho hangs 'em up
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2018, 04:44:05 AM »
I loved Dinis when I gave him up. I'd make the trade again though just based on where I was at the time.

Pretty awesome that he outlasted the two picks he was traded for.