Author Topic: Getch's Utilities  (Read 5798 times)

Offline satchel

• Rhode Island Reds
  • Legend of the Game
  • Reputation +9/-2
    • View Profile
    • Jamaica League
Getch's Utilities
« on: September 17, 2008, 07:29:22 AM »
I suppose that we'll want to install Getch's Utilities, as long as our hosting is cgi-accessible.

Offline Chappy

• Pennsylvania Freedom
  • Administrator
  • Legend of the Game
  • Reputation +59/-3
    • View Profile
Re: Getch's Utilities
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2008, 07:51:02 AM »
Yes, that is the plan.

I guess I should figure out if our hosting is cgi-accessible.

Offline satchel

• Rhode Island Reds
  • Legend of the Game
  • Reputation +9/-2
    • View Profile
    • Jamaica League
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2008, 07:55:25 AM »
Chappy, if it is, there should be a folder in the root directory that's labelled cgi or cgi-bin.

My opinion of Getch's is that it's cool and fun to have, but doesn't add anything crucial to the league experience. We've already solved the one main problem that Getch's addresses, and that's how to run the draft for an online league. Getch's does provide a nice automated list-creating mechanism, and formalizes what we run as our pre-draft picking procedure, but it doesn't do anything for us that we haven't already worked out ourselves.

That being said, it's a nice extra set of bells and whistles to play with, and somewhat of a prestige thing. It's cool to be able to lay claim to having it.

Offline satchel

• Rhode Island Reds
  • Legend of the Game
  • Reputation +9/-2
    • View Profile
    • Jamaica League
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2008, 07:59:34 AM »
Yes, that is the plan.

I guess I should figure out if our hosting is cgi-accessible.

If we don't seem to have it now, I'd check to see what it would take to get it. It might be as simple as requesting it. Beyond that, it would be up to you as to how much it's worth to the league. To get it on my host, I had to upgrade my plan by about $4 per month, but that also included some extra storage space and bandwidth that came in very handy. If you have PayPal, I'll bet that the league could raise some cash rather easily.

But like I said, Getch's isn't indispensable by any stretch.

Offline fhomess

• Texas Banditos
  • All-Star
  • Reputation +4/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2008, 08:13:01 AM »
My opinion of Getch's is that it's cool and fun to have, but doesn't add anything crucial to the league experience. We've already solved the one main problem that Getch's addresses, and that's how to run the draft for an online league.
I would add that there's another crucial element for those used to OOTP6.5.  The ratings report in Getch's utility is the only way to see ratings for your entire organization on one HTML report.  OOTP9 doesn't give you a ratings report with your MLB'ers as well as your minor leaguers in the web output, so for online GM's who are used to using the HTML as one of their first sources for information would otherwise have to look this up in game.

Offline satchel

• Rhode Island Reds
  • Legend of the Game
  • Reputation +9/-2
    • View Profile
    • Jamaica League
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2008, 08:21:35 AM »
I would add that there's another crucial element for those used to OOTP6.5.  The ratings report in Getch's utility is the only way to see ratings for your entire organization on one HTML report.  OOTP9 doesn't give you a ratings report with your MLB'ers as well as your minor leaguers in the web output, so for online GM's who are used to using the HTML as one of their first sources for information would otherwise have to look this up in game.
Yes the development report, I wasn't thinking about that. Like I've said elsewhere, keeping up with player development is one of the main things I do, as an owner. My experience with Getch's has only recently included the Development Tracker, so I'm not accustomed to having it available.

Offline satchel

• Rhode Island Reds
  • Legend of the Game
  • Reputation +9/-2
    • View Profile
    • Jamaica League
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2008, 08:23:23 AM »
I'd also like to use this opportunity to thank fhomess for his help in overcoming a big obstacle the JL had faced in making the Development Tracker work with a talent-only league. His was an invaluable contribution. It was very noble for him to work on something for a league that he's not directly involved in, and it's a good example of what he can contribute to a league, and the community in general.

Offline fhomess

• Texas Banditos
  • All-Star
  • Reputation +4/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2008, 08:27:26 AM »
Yes the development report, I wasn't thinking about that. Like I've said elsewhere, keeping up with player development is one of the main things I do, as an owner. My experience with Getch's has only recently included the Development Tracker, so I'm not accustomed to having it available.
Actually, I'm referring to the ratings report, not the development tracker.  Slightly different beast.  The development tracker is great, too.

I'd also like to use this opportunity to thank fhomess for his help in overcoming a big obstacle the JL had faced in making the Development Tracker work with a talent-only league. His was an invaluable contribution. It was very noble for him to work on something for a league that he's not directly involved in, and it's a good example of what he can contribute to a league, and the community in general.
Well, I did actually write the playoff odds and ratings part, which is why they're buggy. ;)

Offline satchel

• Rhode Island Reds
  • Legend of the Game
  • Reputation +9/-2
    • View Profile
    • Jamaica League
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2008, 08:33:58 AM »
Actually, I'm referring to the ratings report, not the development tracker.  Slightly different beast.  The development tracker is great, too.
Ah, right. I was mixing them up in my mind.

Well, I did actually write the playoff odds and ratings part, which is why they're buggy. ;)
I didn't know that. I had wondered why you seemed so intimate with the program and the process of debugging it, on the main OOTP forum.  :)

Offline jdettbarn

• Idaho Spuds
  • Legend of the Game
  • Reputation +10/-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2008, 10:19:59 AM »
I"m pretty sure I used Getch's utilities on Dreamhost, when I was there (if you still are Chappy)...
Idaho Spuds GM (2011 to present)
W/L: 5253-4953
Playoff Apps: 27
National Cup Apps: 8
Cup titles: 2049, 2054, 2057, 2071, 2073

Offline CbsBsbll

• Maryland Admirals
  • Legend of the Game
  • Reputation +10/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2008, 10:54:48 AM »
Also, Getch's offers a great way to review the last sim results, especially box scores. The default pages for OOTP9 are lacking in that area in my opinion because you have to select the day that you want to view, then select the next day. Getch's makes it much easier to see in one place, which is something I use a LOT.

Matt
Minnesota Wolves GM: 2030-45
Maryland Admirals GM: 2069-present

Offline statfreak

• Ohio Raptors
  • Hall of Famer
  • Reputation +3/-3
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2008, 11:24:06 AM »
Getch's utilities are a virtual must-have.  I'd be lost without the development utility and really enjoy the last sim as a way to review the games and player performances.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2008, 01:47:10 PM by statfreak »

Offline Scott

• Louisiana Blaze
  • Legend of the Game
  • Reputation +5/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2008, 01:07:50 PM »
Everyone has me excited about something I've never heard of!  ;D O0
NPBL: Louisiana Blaze: 2020 to 2035
BSBL: Los Angeles Angels: 1952 to 1965, founding owner

Offline satchel

• Rhode Island Reds
  • Legend of the Game
  • Reputation +9/-2
    • View Profile
    • Jamaica League
« Reply #13 on: September 17, 2008, 01:25:50 PM »
Well, I did actually write the playoff odds and ratings part, which is why they're buggy.
Hope you don't mind me asking this here, but...on the Playoff odds calculator, sometimes a second-place team will have a "max number of wins" that surpasses the "min number of wins" of the first-place team, yet the playoff odds of the first-place team will still be 100%. If there are some scenarios in which the second-place team ends up with more wins than the first-place team, wouldn't that cause the second-place team to warrant at least some small percentage chance of winning the division?

Offline fhomess

• Texas Banditos
  • All-Star
  • Reputation +4/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 17, 2008, 01:40:07 PM »
Well, I did actually write the playoff odds and ratings part, which is why they're buggy.
Hope you don't mind me asking this here, but...on the Playoff odds calculator, sometimes a second-place team will have a "max number of wins" that surpasses the "min number of wins" of the first-place team, yet the playoff odds of the first-place team will still be 100%. If there are some scenarios in which the second-place team ends up with more wins than the first-place team, wouldn't that cause the second-place team to warrant at least some small percentage chance of winning the division?
Really?  I've never seen that.  I just uploaded a patch for the utilities which fixes some other issues.  I'll take a look at this, too, but let me know if you see it again.

OOTPOU Patch

I can confirm with Jason that the utilities work fine on Dreamhost (it's what I use).